Security forces have launched a rescue operation after suspected terrorists abducted an unspecified number of worshippers during Friday prayers in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.
The incident happened on Friday, August 21, 2026, at a mosque in Kpenya village, Dekara District, after the attackers had reportedly invaded nearby Gidan-Zana and Kpenya communities.
Niger State Police spokesperson, SP Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the incident on Saturday.
Abiodun said the attackers stormed the communities before moving to the mosque at about 2 p.m., where they abducted some worshippers.
He said the number of victims remained unknown as police were still assessing the situation.
According to him, some worshippers managed to escape into a nearby forest during the attack.
The police spokesperson said no death had been reported, adding that joint security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue efforts.
He assured that further updates would be made public as more information becomes available.
Keep Reading
Add A Comment
