Nigerian security agencies, including the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), are reported to be engaging Interpol and other international law-enforcement bodies in efforts to locate and secure the return of former Bayelsa State governor and former Minister of State for Petroleum, Timipre Sylva.
Security sources said the move follows investigations linking Sylva to alleged financial crimes as well as claims of involvement in a foiled coup plot against the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu—allegations his camp has strongly denied.
Sylva, who reportedly left Nigeria last year, was declared wanted by the EFCC on November 10, 2025, over alleged conspiracy and dishonest conversion of about $15 million connected to funds meant for the Atlantic International Refinery and Petrochemical Limited.
As part of the wider investigation, operatives of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) raided Sylva’s Abuja residence on October 25, 2025, shortly after the arrest of 16 military officers accused of involvement in an alleged coup plot. Sylva was said to be outside the country at the time of the operation.
During the raid, his younger brother, Paga Sylva, a Special Assistant on Domestic Affairs, and his driver were reportedly detained for questioning.
Sources familiar with the matter told Forefront News that Sylva could be arraigned in absentia if he fails to return to Nigeria to face the allegations. According to one security source, international tracking efforts began immediately after he was declared wanted.
“Interpol has been contacted. The EFCC and DSS are tracing his whereabouts,” the source said. “If he believes he is innocent, it is in his interest to return and submit himself for investigation.”
Another source close to the EFCC said preparations were ongoing to bring the matter before the courts, stressing that the agency remains committed to pursuing the case to its conclusion.
Meanwhile, Sylva’s Special Assistant on Media and Public Affairs, Julius Bokoru, has dismissed claims linking the former minister to any coup plot, describing them as baseless and politically motivated.
In a statement, Bokoru said Sylva was in the United Kingdom for medical reasons and would honour EFCC invitations upon his return. He described the allegations as the handiwork of “desperate and self-seeking politicians” ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Investigations by security agencies are said to be ongoing.
DSS, EFCC Seek Sylva’s Return as Probe Deepens

