Former Vice President and ADC presidential candidate, **Atiku Abubakar**, has promised to restore the petrol subsidy if elected president in the January 2027 election.
Atiku made the pledge during a Hausa-language interview on the PAP programme on Wednesday.
He said anyone found to have stolen funds meant for the fuel subsidy would be forced to return the money under his administration.
President Bola Tinubu removed the petrol subsidy on May 29, 2023, shortly after assuming office, describing the policy as unsustainable.
The Federal Government has defended the decision, saying the removal of the subsidy and the liberalisation of the naira generated about **₦15.8 trillion** for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025.
Atiku, however, argued that Nigerians had not seen enough benefits from the savings.
He said he initially did not oppose the removal of the subsidy but had changed his position because of developments since the policy was scrapped.
“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money?” Atiku asked.
He said if elected, his government would restore the subsidy and investigate the management of funds previously allocated to the scheme.
“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” he said.
Atiku argued that the money saved from the subsidy removal should have been used to improve healthcare, education, security and youth empowerment.
He also questioned the government’s claim that more than ₦15 trillion had been generated through the economic reforms.
According to him, corruption and injustice among political leaders remain major reasons Nigerians are facing hardship.
Atiku said his administration would pursue those who diverted public funds and ensure that stolen resources are recovered.

Atiku Abubakar
Add A Comment