The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of intelligence indicating planned attacks by terrorist and bandit groups on tertiary institutions across the state.
The Service said students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their relatives could be at risk of abduction if the plans are carried out.
The warning was contained in a security alert dated August 18, 2026, and addressed to the Sokoto State Government. It was signed on behalf of the State Director of Security by B. Abdulaziz.

In the alert titled, “Planned Attack on Tertiary Institutions by Terrorist and Bandit Gangs,” the DSS said criminal groups appeared to be shifting their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions.
The Service described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff.
It warned that any successful attack could lead to abductions, disruption of academic activities, increased fear and loss of public confidence in the authorities.
The DSS therefore urged the Sokoto State Government and security agencies to urgently strengthen security around tertiary institutions.
It called for increased surveillance, intelligence gathering, access control and rapid-response measures to prevent attacks.
The Service also said relevant security and emergency-response agencies had been alerted to the threat and urged them to deploy appropriate measures to protect students, staff and educational facilities.
The DSS further called for stronger coordination between the state government, security agencies and school authorities to ensure the safety of tertiary institutions across Sokoto State.
